We had visitors last Sunday so I thought of making a quick merienda for them. I always have pasta and spaghetti sauce in our pantry since it is easy to cook for house guests. To put again my dear oven to use, I decided to make baked macaroni that’s good for 8 pax and a little more for Kelsea’s school baon the next day.
Medium Onion, minced
1/4 kg each of lean pork and beef giniling
Hunts cheese and Basil Sauce
Macaroni pasta (I bought ones that are as long as penne)
Half of 1 tetra pack of Nestle cream
Eden melt sarap, grated
Mozzarella cheese, grated
3 tbsp butter or cooking oil (We use Canola oil at home)
1. Cook pasta al dente as per package instructions. Drain and set aside. While pasta is cooking, I do all the chopping and preparing of ingredients. I love cooking with lots of onions and garlic for more flavor. So it’s up to you how many or how little you use 🙂
2. Saute the onions and garlic in oil or butter for a few minutes. This will smell so good 🙂
3. Add the lean pork and beef. Cook until pork and beef turns brown (around 5 minutes). Add salt, pepper and italian spices as much as you like. Of course, not too much salt please. Simmer for 3 minutes. For a Mexican taste, you can also add taco seasoning.
4. When the pork and beef are already cooked, add the Hunts Cheese and Basil sauce. Heat for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the Nestle Cream and stir. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
6. In a baking dish, put the cooked macaroni pasta. Pour in some of the sauce and mix thoroughly. The more sauce, the better.
7. After mixing, arrange the mixture in the dish to someone flatten it. Pour again some sauce on top, spreading all through out the dish. This time, don’t mix anymore.
8. Top the pasta with the mixture of grated Eden melt sarap and mozzarella cheese. Be generous when putting cheese!
9. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
10. Serve hot.
Tip: You can partner this with bruschetta 🙂
Next time I’ll try topping it off with Mornay sauce or Bechamel sauce. You can tweak this recipe according to your own taste. Enjoy the meal!